Jamaica's Dutty Political Legacy

Former Prime Minister of Jamaica, the Hon. Michael Manley.

Michael Norman Manley was born on December 10, 1924 in St. Andrew, Jamaica.

He was the second son of internationally renowned lawyer, Rhodes Scholar and one of Jamaica’s National Heroes, the Rt. Excellent Norman Washington Manley and Edna Manley, nee Swithenbank, outstanding sculptor and patron of Jamaican arts.

Although Manley’s first love was journalism, he eventually became involved in trade unionism through his work with the National Worker’s Union (NWU) an affiliate of the People’s National Party (PNP). His activism and concern for the Jamaican worker soon led him to follow in his father’s footsteps to the helm of the People’s National Party and eventually Gordon House in 1972 and once again in 1989.

Manley made his mark by improving labour conditions, education and Jamaica’s international standing.

Manley was awarded the nation’s third highest order, the Order of Merit, on May 1992 for distinguished service in the field of international affairs.

I remember......
As a teenager, I campaigned with my father the late Victor B. Grant QC in St. Catherine where he won a seat in Parliament. I saw the dirty side of politics even then but the weapons at that time were sticks and stones. In the 1960s, Jamaica's economy was said to be booming. However, there was a perception of inequality of the benefits of this boom. Black people could not even get jobs in banks and many offices. My father was instrumental in the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) government banning books about black power and banning Rodney from Jamaica because of his support of poor black people in Jamaica. This confluence of events led to the Michael Manley landslide in 1972. I know what I am talking about. I was there as a well-meaning naïve youngster, campaigning for Michael Manley night and day from one end of the island to the other. I participated in marches, helped to organize meetings with youth and along with others disrupted events where Shearer was a guest. I was a distributor for the Abeng - the protest print publication of the time. We faced down hostile police, were teargassed by the police, etc. etc. Initially, Michael Manley said the word was LOVE. Ha! Some love!
From the 1960s both the PNP and the JLP organized and armed gangs of thugs to intimidate their opponents. These gangs of thugs were the forerunners of the gangs that today have a tight grip on the crime situation. I know, I was there. I don't know much about the JLP gangs but as an associate and Trades Union Congress employee of the late Peoples National Party (PNP) Senator Hopeton Caven, I met the PNP gangsters, worked with them and hung out with them. I met Burry Boy, the burly Phantom and others - major gangsters. In their company, I got respect. In one case a businessman whose property I unionized brought in thugs and broke up my picket line. I had to run for my life as they attacked. I returned to the property with the PNP's famous Phantom and watched in amazement as the thugs scattered in fear when they saw him. Phantom was only one man against many and Phantom did not even have to draw a gun. Phantom's reputation preceded him.  I remember meeting the great Feathermop - the most feared gangster at the time (see article above). Even though he killed many, Feathermop was untouchable - he walked around openly - with me and others. When Feathermop did something that seriously embarrassed Michael Manley, he was eventually executed in cold blood by people associated with the PNP.
Lest we forget.....

Michael Manley's administration presided over the Green Bay Massacre and other atrocities. No angels died at Green Bay? That is what the PNP's Dudley Thompson said at the time. Michael Manley's administration was a disaster. Although I committed no crimes, I now regret my initial support of Michael Manley and my association and friendship with the PNP gangsters. That naïve well-meaning youngster that I was in the 1960s and early 1970s was duped by Michael Manley and the PNP.

We have to be careful when we say "the JLP and PNP have both made significant contributions to Jamaica’s development". The question we must ask is: development for whom? For example, some say look at the PATH program. I refer you to this article: https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/lead-stories/20200323/billions-path-poor-want-more
The above jives with what I am told by those poor Jamaicans that I am still in touch with on the island. Not enough!
What about the National Housing Trust? That fund has become unavailable to most contributors. Also, the fund has been raided by the politicians for their pet projects.
The PNP and the JLP certainly 'developed' our current problem with gangs. The politicians led by Busta, Seaga and Michael Manley and others have done serious damage to Jamaica that far outweighs the so-called 'contributions' they have made to national development and yet, up to today, people still revere these despicable people. The Chinese making your highways that you have to pay them to use is development? Please. It was the PNP and JLP that have tiefed our road development money over the decades so that we now have to make the Chinese do it. It was Michael Manley who made a garrison out of Central Kingston. I don't know about Norman Manley as he was before my time but all of the others, organized and associated with gunmen and thugs. I know. I was there.

"We learn from history that we do not learn from history". (Friedrich Hegel)
Raymond D. Grant

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jamaicans! TIME COME!

A suh di ting set!

US Election could lead to civil war?