Lisa Hanna: The Job Market in 5 Years

The Job Market in 5 Years - Lisa Hanna

Lisa is right. However, this is nothing new. This process has been going on for years. When I left CAST (now UTech), computers were as big as a room and compared to todays PCs, they were very slow. I then worked at the Jamaica Telephone Company (JTC) as a Statistician. Within 5 years, with the advancement in computers, I realized I would soon be obsolete. Proactively, and to the horror of my family and co-workers, I resigned to start my own business. A few years after I left the JTC, my job could be done by a computer and the JTC itself eventually ceased to exist and all my former co-workers were out of a job. I eventually hired a computer nerd to teach me everything about computers and went on to make a living for years as a computer consultant.

For example, I would not train to be a mechanic on internal combustion engines (ICE) as those types of vehicles will be disappearing in 10 years or less. If you want to be a car mechanic, train to be an EV mechanic. Also, those who are currently ICE mechanics should plan to transition to ICE vehicles in 10 years. When the ICE auto was first invented many blacksmiths and others who depended on the horse and buggy industry who did not retrain to be ICE mechanics were left stranded While there is a role for the government to prepare for the future, I would not hold my breath. Individuals must take responsibility for their own futures, do the research and find out what are the growth industries, then prepare yourself for them. DO NOT wait on the government, be proactive and prepare yourself.

Raymond D. Grant

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jamaicans! TIME COME!

A suh di ting set!

US Election could lead to civil war?