Jamaica's Last Resort

 http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/gov-t-calling-out-national-reserve_208706?profile=1606

Normally, at this time of the year, unarmed police trainees are put on the streets under the supervision of training officers so I hope this is also done again this Christmas. These trainees patrol in groups of 3 or more and are not armed with guns - only non-lethal weapons. The training officer can be armed with a gun. The trainees have radios so that they can call for backup when necessary.

I was once a member of the JDF Reserves. I had a job at the time and the active service involved training and exercises on week ends, holidays and vacations. This was in the Good Old Days when crime in Jamaica was very low. I was never called up full-time. I enjoyed the training and exercises which helped my career. It was also fun so I urge young people to join. You can continue your studies or keep your job and still serve in the JDF. The call up of the reserves is a good move but this is pretty much the last resort. After this, the toolbox is empty. The reserves can only be used for the short-term as they have jobs and businesses that they have to return to so this cannot be sustained for the long-term. We need to add to our toolbox more tools to fight crime. What can be sustained in the long run is to train and swear in thousands of full-time and part-time District Constables to assist the police and relieve them of routine duties such as Station Guard, static guard, traffic, court, radio control, driving, process serving, office duties, etc. The police could then focus on crime. When I was a Trainee Constable in the JCF, I spent most of my time guarding places. That is a waste. It was also boring. The JCF should also have a Reserve Unit that could be called out when needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jamaicans! TIME COME!

A suh di ting set!

US Election could lead to civil war?